Lifestyle design, to live a dream life, always interested me.
As far as I can remember, I wanted to go after what I am capable, as to exceed the standards of what is expected of women.
When I realized that the world is not always good, and masses of people are not happy, that many are even seriously ill or even live in war zones, I know at this instant that I want to go to the end of my capacities to help as much as possible.
Begins my own dream lifestyle design, consciously. Because our lifestyle should not harm others, and the American Dream model (I love Americans, but not the dominant culture model) has flaws; how to live in abundance and keep all for ourselves while many do not even have access to drinking water? Mother Teresa said that if there are poor, it is because she, like us, aren’t generous enough. And what about the respect for our planet now? No, our lifestyle design must be environmentally and socially responsible.
When we are raised by a society that is the “monster Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,” which has good but also allows atrocities to exist, we can become contaminated and pass into the grinding dream machine to emerge into a docile citizen, but with a sterile imagination; well fed, but dissatisfied with the direction his life and the world are taking.
In high school, my math teacher told me that we should not expect to achieve our dreams, that adult life catches up with us. He invited me to tell him if I could live my dreams. I intended to prove him wrong, that you must do what you love in life.
Malcolm Forbes, a renowned businessman, said “When you cease to dream you cease to live” and “The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.” One of the worst things that can be said to a human being is to tell him that his dreams are impossible. When in fact, if our dreams have already been done by another, an ordinary human too, that they can be done again is of the realm of possibility. This ordinary human may have just dared to do the extraordinary, like dream big and think outside the box, listening to less than the common 6 hours of television a day and spending more time to realize himself.
My father-in-law says that our achievements are made by humans, so a human is by definition able to do it too. And if it has never been done before, who are we to judge of the potential of others?
Deny that we can accomplish what we are and genuinely want, is to deny ourselves. The word impossible says I’m possible, I can be who I am. Therefore we have to chase dream destroyers away and do what we believe is possible for us.
Perhaps are we in general guilty of dreaming too little, and too small. We should all dream big and accomplish ourselves.
If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.
After high school, to make my career choice, I’m lost, lost, lost. But I found my mission: to have the life of my dreams and help as many people as possible to achieve their dreams. Luckily, this purpose may take different career faces. Still, I have to find the one that suits me best and is most effective.
Our career is only part of our lifestyle design; we can also design all other aspects of our lives, to swim in the greatest happiness possible, and spread it – because research shows that happy people are good (source: the book The Happiness Project).
Outgrowing this period of my life helps me to guide, because I know the feeling of not knowing what to do with my life, and how to get out as quickly and with the most sense as possible, now. I also studied the “monster” to better understand myself – who I am without the society’s shadow and how it can be used to accomplish our dreams.
Now a sociologist, and writer, I take my flight, and I can show you how you could make your perfect, conscious lifestyle design – good for the world and good for you.
Introduction to lifestyle design
To let you immediately have something to devour, here is where I would start my lifestyle design, if I had to do it again.
Answer these questions of lifestyle design
Are you at the end of your potential? If you do not feel accomplished, or you do not use all your potential, dream about alternatives or additional projects.
Take a few minutes and write the answers to the questions down, in a lifestyle design journal or map them on a homemade poster of your dreams. All the greatest achievers go where they want in life making their ideas go out of the thought sphere and into the realm of reality. Writing them down will help you do that. It works for me and help figure out new ways of solving problems.
- What are your dreams? Maybe you have dreams, but you do not know how to achieve them. For now, write them down. Give yourself permission to dream big – you can not achieve what you do not even see the possibility. Try to visualize the tasks that you should do to get there. Then, make them every day. My trick is to achieve at least 3 important work tasks each day.
- What are your talents? A talent is a gift for you and humanity. Very often, we like to do what we are good at and people appreciate it. Make a list of your talents and find how to incorporate them into your life and career.
- What do you think the world needs and how could help with your talents? To meet a need with our talents is a simple formula for success.
- Do you have unrealistic expectations and are not seeing your happiness? Maybe you have plenty to be happy about and you do not realize how lucky you are to have a safe place to live, a family who loves you, etc. Try to be happy and enjoy what you have. Is what you want so badly appears to be greed, gluttony? Could you reduce your needs and help more around you, or give of your fortune?
- If this was your last day on Earth, what would you do, that would give meaning to your life? This is a question to ask each morning, as did Steve Jobs, the Apple visionary.
- What improvements could you do right now to be happy, and good? Now is a good time to live the life of your dreams.
- Do you find yourself happy and good? Divide a sheet or a Word document into 3 columns, one for “I love”, what you love in your life, another one for “I do not like”, what you dread, and the last one for “Solutions”, in the short or long term using the answers to the questions above. Give yourself time to think and write whatever comes to mind, even if it is surprising. With information on the site and your dedication, you will surely find a way to have the best lifestyle design for you, because you’re the expert on your life.
- Evaluate your life on 10. Another exercise, suggested by Jack Canfield, the author of the series Chicken Soup for the Soul, is to score on 10 your day, your relationship with your spouse (ask him or her to do it too if you want), or else, in order to improve.
Subscribe to Do What You Love Journey
I invite you to become an architect of your dreams, too. Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter, you will receive free items and posts (which are parts of my books) on lifestyle design via email, and follow me on Facebook and Twitter for information on dream lifestyle design everyday.
Thank you for sharing now the site information with social tools. To the pleasure of creating with you our dream lifestyle designs!
DesignDeVie.com (French version, if you speak French, want to learn it, or perfect it)
Thanks for reading! From Marie-Eve Boudreault, post Lifestyle Design: Start to Live the Life of Your Dreams
Latest posts by Mary (see all)
- Is It a New Beginning? Let’s Find Out. – February 5, 2014
- What Zen Is Really Meaning Is that We Can Stop the Suffering Now. – January 8, 2014
- Best Blog Posts of 2013 – December 18, 2013